31 Juli 2008

6th task: 75 km

Today I got good news: I had enough points on Kathleen yesterday to move up to 1st place overall! Just by a few points, but it feels nice to be a little bit ahead. The Russians got closer with Natalia having won the day, so we had to work harder today.
We set a 75 km task, because the prediction was for overdevelopment. Also we flew into the Fabriano valley, along Tre Pizzi for the first time in this comp. After a great start together with Francoise (she had moved up to 3rd yesterday), I lost it a bit at Tre Pizzi. Just couldnt get the fast lift and got stuck. Suddenly Regina was 10 km ahead. But she reported shadow and sink from around the second turnpoint, so I slowed down, went all the way up to base and flew carefully. At the turnpoint, I caught up with Natalia, Yulia and - Christa! Flying out to the turnpoint, I was lucky and found us a nice thermal back to base. Regina had landed, so did Jamie and Monique. Together with Christa we were moving at a good pace and were able to beat the Russian girls into goal.
Argentinian Laura Bazan won the day by 20 minutes, but only 6 pilots made it in, so it wont mix things up too much. Yulia tried so hard to catch up that she landed in a tree (no worries, she is alright), and apparently on the tree the gps rang and she was in the goal radius;)
Kathleen landed at the first turnpoint I heard, and I havent seen Carol so far. It might be me in first, Francoise 2nd and Natalia 3rd after today.
Christian Ciech won the rigid day, about 20 minutes ahead of Alex. Steve Cox won the swift class again today.

Keine Kommentare: